The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:21 pm 

Apparently they can make it almost as bullet proof as Kevlar at a fifith of the price or keep the strength and make it transparent with a simple chemcial process.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/stro ... ket-newtab

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:16 am 
Site Admin

Neat. Now let's figure out how to do it with hemp and cut the price even more.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:08 pm 

I don't know, say you can make a "bulletproof" vest that is about 85% effective as kevlar at 5% of the price. You pressure press it into shape using a mold and then waterproof it and there would be little in the way of skilled production costs in fabricating an actual garment. Plus who wouldn't buy one if you already built in the six-pack?

I sent the article to a friend of mine who does more than actually talk about stuff online. He has a woodlot, a sawmill and one of those building-sized wood dryers. I don't know if he has a wood press though, I'm not sure what it would take to steam it into place either, if anyone still does that. I should have asked my uncle before he passed. He built an Irish ketch he called it, but that doesn't seem to be the name on the internet. Basically a traditional Irish rowboat where he bent the wood into shape from lumberyard lumber over time. I think he soaked it and moved it with pegs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:22 pm 

Crap, no wood press. What are the odds that I know a teacher with a sawmill, a computer security guy that makes heirloom grade wooden cabinets and one of our network guys is a former Sailor who can build a Japanese style wood bridge for the meditation garden at the local upscale sushi place? I'm starting to feel I'm one of the NPC's in this game. If I were any more 2 dimensional, I wouldn't be able to sit in this chair.