The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:03 pm 

Figured I would restart another popular and semi-useful thread from The Hotel. (Kurt if this is in the wrong area please move it to where ever you feel more appropriate.)

I was rather busy this weekend. I completed my four open water dives for my scuba diving class; I should have my c-card sometime in the next few weeks. We did all four dives off of Vista Point in Lake Pleasant, and the deepest depth we dove to was 58 feet. Visibility was pretty poor and we didn't see much more than a few small fish and a few crayfish. But I'm happy to say that the Flonase the docs prescribed did an amazing job; prior to using it I had so much trouble equalizing my ears that I had a depth limit of 12 feet. Even though I think I have some very minor barotrauma in my left ear from my last dive it was much better than my last dive session.

I also learned that diving with a wetsuit is very different than diving without one. I used one for the first time Sunday and while I was so much warmer and comfortable I had a bit of difficulty with my buoyancy control during my first dive.

In other news, I signed up for a local HAM radio course. I start the first Saturday of October and should be done by mid-November.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:01 pm 

I like! I 've always wanted to dive in a lake to see all the structure and cover and to see where the bass hide. The bass fisherman in me can't resist!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:21 pm 

.45 ACP wrote:
I like! I 've always wanted to dive in a lake to see all the structure and cover and to see where the bass hide. The bass fisherman in me can't resist!

Not in Florida you don't, unless you like gators and alligator snapping turtles...which I do.

But the visibility sucks here anyway. We keep out diving to shallow offshore reefs and fresh water springs.

I imagine a lot of those clear rivers in the northwest would be a great dive though, see some trout and salmon in their habitat...then in the skillet!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:44 pm 

Yeah lots of tanins in the water from leaves decaying and such, or just plain old mud. I think I'd be more afraid of those damn snapping turtles. Mean fuckers! I was watching an old episodes of Fishing with Roland Martin and Bill Dance and those guys have caught them while bass fishing. Those turtles weren't real happy about being hooked!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:46 pm 

Got in a new 16 1-7 carbine barrel the other day. Going on something, I'm sure.

Been using a SnagMag holder for my reload. Always seems to hang in the right place. Almost got a chance to use it the other day.

One of the neighbor's relations put two Rotty/Pit Mixes into their pen in front of my driveway. It barely held the puppies in there, didn't hold these two for long. Eldest and I were out there working on her Pathfinder, she was scrapping off rust from the spare tire carrier and repainting. I was giving Dad-like advice. Mutts popped out of the cage, didn't think anything of it other than wanted to put them back in. Fuckers came after me, one even leaped at me and hit me in the chest (classic Rotty attack profile). I knocked it away and drew my pistol on them. Apparently they know what a pistol is and does, because they headed for next door pretty quick just as I was engaging the trigger. Their owner popped out and started yelling at them, my daughter was in the middle of it all and I held fire. Crazy shit.

Best part, boy comes over and says "I give you permission to carry and shoot them if it happens again." My response, "Boy, I am always armed and I don't need your permission to shoot them if they are on my property and aggressing."
"Uh, yeah, just saying I won't be bent about it."
"Well, your stud came a couple inches away from catching hold of me. If he's loose again, I'm killing him, and that bitch too." (Dude has an intact male and bitch that just whelped a pile of puppies).
"No problem, man. I'm really sorry about all of that, really sorry. I'll kill them myself if they get more than 5 feet from me on their leashes."
"Works for me, but it's all good. No one got hurt, just riled up."
I was a little shaky after that, kind of surprised me, but I reacted, kept them off of and focused on me and not my daughter, drew and was in the process of making them worm food when I had to stop. Apparently those lessons are still holding together, didn't like the shaky stuff at the end though.

...specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:14 pm 

Wardog wrote:
Got in a new 16 1-7 carbine barrel the other day. Going on something, I'm sure.

Been using a SnagMag holder for my reload. Always seems to hang in the right place. Almost got a chance to use it the other day.

One of the neighbor's relations put two Rotty/Pit Mixes into their pen in front of my driveway. It barely held the puppies in there, didn't hold these two for long. Eldest and I were out there working on her Pathfinder, she was scrapping off rust from the spare tire carrier and repainting. I was giving Dad-like advice. Mutts popped out of the cage, didn't think anything of it other than wanted to put them back in. Fuckers came after me, one even leaped at me and hit me in the chest (classic Rotty attack profile). I knocked it away and drew my pistol on them. Apparently they know what a pistol is and does, because they headed for next door pretty quick just as I was engaging the trigger. Their owner popped out and started yelling at them, my daughter was in the middle of it all and I held fire. Crazy shit.

Best part, boy comes over and says "I give you permission to carry and shoot them if it happens again." My response, "Boy, I am always armed and I don't need your permission to shoot them if they are on my property and aggressing."
"Uh, yeah, just saying I won't be bent about it."
"Well, your stud came a couple inches away from catching hold of me. If he's loose again, I'm killing him, and that bitch too." (Dude has an intact male and bitch that just whelped a pile of puppies).
"No problem, man. I'm really sorry about all of that, really sorry. I'll kill them myself if they get more than 5 feet from me on their leashes."
"Works for me, but it's all good. No one got hurt, just riled up."
I was a little shaky after that, kind of surprised me, but I reacted, kept them off of and focused on me and not my daughter, drew and was in the process of making them worm food when I had to stop. Apparently those lessons are still holding together, didn't like the shaky stuff at the end though.

Adrenaline is a bitch...

But good job overall! Good thing you learned all those tricks long ago... being that you can't teach an old dog new tricks... :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:24 pm 

Holy shit! :o Those adrenaline shakes suck! A few years back my wife wakes me up at 2:30 in the A.M. saying she thought she heard the gate to our dog run squeak open. As I'm about to say it was probably the wind she says she also heard talking and a cel phone ring once and being shut off just as quickly as it rang. Now at the time the house next to us was empty so I think they were in the driveway opening the gate to that backyard and my wife thought it was ours.
Now I'm in our backyard with my flashlight and my 1911 sweeping the light around and purposely shining it over the fence while keeping my self out of sight and at that point was when I heard the footsteps on the concrete going towards the street and to a car that took off. I didn't have a direct encounter but I've got to say that even though I thought I kept myself pretty calm and was paying attention to what I was doing with my firearm, that adrenaline dump at the end was a bitch! My wife asked me if I was alright and I knew I was but at the same time I just looked at her and laughed kind of nervously and let out a big sigh of relief!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:36 pm 

A1C Lickey wrote:
Figured I would restart another popular and semi-useful thread from The Hotel. (Kurt if this is in the wrong area please move it to where ever you feel more appropriate.)

I was rather busy this weekend. I completed my four open water dives for my scuba diving class; I should have my c-card sometime in the next few weeks. We did all four dives off of Vista Point in Lake Pleasant, and the deepest depth we dove to was 58 feet. Visibility was pretty poor and we didn't see much more than a few small fish and a few crayfish. But I'm happy to say that the Flonase the docs prescribed did an amazing job; prior to using it I had so much trouble equalizing my ears that I had a depth limit of 12 feet. Even though I think I have some very minor barotrauma in my left ear from my last dive it was much better than my last dive session.

In other news, I signed up for a local HAM radio course. I start the first Saturday of October and should be done by mid-November.

I haven't dove in quite a few years but some of the largest fish I've ever seen was while diving. Getting out of the water in a wet suit always made me feel like I was pissing myself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:25 am 

Glad to hear you're alright Wardog. Adrenaline can be a bitch but it definitely sounds like you had your head in the game and did the right thing.

And it sounds like the guy is a douche. He's giving you permission to carry and defend yourself? :roll: Really? Who exactly does he think he is? I wouldn't be surprised if something does happen that this incident suddenly becomes proof of how heartless and bloodthirsty you are, after all you've already tried to shoot his dogs once. :x

CWizerd wrote:
I haven't dove in quite a few years but some of the largest fish I've ever seen was while diving. Getting out of the water in a wet suit always made me feel like I was pissing myself.

Didn't feel like I was pissing myself; more like I had a heated blanket wrapped around me. It was rather cool (by Arizona standards, mid to high eighties I believe) and I was the only one not cold. I actually went the deepest as the thermocline was higher that day and so drastic no one else could stand it. I crossed it and slowly felt a little colder, looked back and saw my dive buddy pantomiming shivering so I turned back and we ascended a bit.

And like I said, we only saw small fry, the largest was probably three to four inches long. :( Apparently they saw a nice bass earlier that morning, but they must have scared it off because none of us saw any trace of it later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:04 am 

A1C Lickey wrote:
Glad to hear you're alright Wardog. Adrenaline can be a bitch but it definitely sounds like you had your head in the game and did the right thing.

And it sounds like the guy is a douche. He's giving you permission to carry and defend yourself? :roll: Really? Who exactly does he think he is? I wouldn't be surprised if something does happen that this incident suddenly becomes proof of how heartless and bloodthirsty you are, after all you've already tried to shoot his dogs once. :x

Thanks for the pats on the old Bear's back, kids. Talked to his Mom today, she's the one who's husband died. She got pretty riled up about what a dumbass her kid was. Said she has been thinking about taking them out in the woods and taking care fo the situation herself. "Sorry son, they ran off, I don't know what happened to them." I like her, just wish I wasn't meeting her under these circumstances. In hindsight, I should have just popped the male right then and not worried about it. But, it's all good at this point.

...specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next