The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VPN Recomendations
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:04 am 

Any recommendations for a good VPN? I have the feeling it's going to be necessary the next few years.

Or any other tech services you may find helpful in the near future?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: VPN Recomendations
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Nord seems to be one that keeps coming up as "good". That said, I've been thinking about this a lot lately and while I think it might help...some...I'm not sure how much help it will be. How confident are we that the VPN is secure from government involvement? Given what recently happened to Parler and how in lockstep big tech seems to be, right now I don't have a lot of faith in the high ideals that the tech sector used to champion. I think they've all sold their souls to the CCP and .gov for a bigger slice of the pie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:34 am 

Thanks Kurt. I've heard of Nord before, that was one of the ones I was thinking of.

To be honest, especially after hearing the remarks from the Mozilla CEO (More than Deplatforming) , at this point overseas (i.e. Swiss) ownership is a major plus in my mind. No logging, a second plus. The ability to add it at the router is probably the highest priority other than being in a neutrul country right now.

I've heard that Parler may have found a new web host who will be willing to have them, if that is so that is definitely a good thing. I read this today that Parler may be suing Amazon for breach of contract, they cut their service in 30 hrs instead of the required 30 days of notice. They may also have a real chance at a anti-trust case as AWS still hosts Twitter with their H@ngPence hashtag, and no reprercussions.

While I wasn't on Parler or MeWe before, I will be joining them if they come back and definitely will be looking at dropping Facebook/Twitter/etc. I had just started using social media again just recently, but it's starting to quickly outweight the benefits. I only use Twitter for the Classic Firearms contests, but I hope that if enough of us ask them to drop the service (at least from their contests) they will.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:50 am 
Site Admin

They are suing Amazon and if that is indeed what happened, Amazon is in bad shape. I doubt that until companies have the same level of traffic and engagement on other platforms that they'll leave Twitter or Facebook. It's sad. I would strongly suggest watching the video liked below...Karl gives an outstanding explanation on why it's so hard to have a true alternative. That said, I think that NRA (since they have the next big show) should step up, show some leadership at NRAAM and work to create an industry funded (i.e. if you want to be in on it, you need to buy in/invest/contribute) network that does exactly what Karl suggests; start a bank, establish CC processing, and then buy a datacenter.

https://youtu.be/Ev__j30ZRTw