The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Upcoming Election Preps?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:12 am 
Site Admin

Is anyone making any changes (behavioral, travel, purchases, etc.) prior to the election?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:24 am 

I am continuing with my reguiar preps, regardless of the outcome of the election. No plans to travel, my boss has decided that a big part of my job gets disrupted when I travel, even though I'm the only one available now to do the travel.

...specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:34 am 
Site Admin

I chair a local prepper's group where we get together and discuss different issues, techniques, and skills every month. This past month we've gotten together four times and will probably meet another two or three times before the election. All of them are very concerned and we're putting together a communications policy for alternative communications as well as for those of us who live in urban/suburban areas, plans to relocate to one of the other members' homes if things get bad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:02 am 

Oh, I did do some pistol drills this weekend and tested the 10mm slide. Also finally got my disk I bought over to the property so I can do some prepatory dirt preparation for spring planting. I did a test this year with various seeds to see if I can get rid of the knapweed that is rampant out there, worked out pretty sweet. Where the seed took (only used a harrow for prep this past year) I had no knapweed - that is a good result. Also tired out some some sunchokes to see how they'd do, the deer thought they were excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:15 am 

Meh, I stocked up on toilet paper and dug out my Ka-bar. It's too much, the COVID, I've been exposed twice this week and it's Wednesday with Monday off, ooops, yet the teachers get to stay home, I'm essential because I do the temperature screening in the morning and they would have to pay to get someone else to do it, if I get past that its the unrest from the election, come get me, I've already voted, for all the good it will do, or the neighbors leaving their trash has attracted a bear, which is why I needed the Ka-bar out in the first place. And I could forgive most of it, the lady who showed up yesterday and turned in a laptop that she said wasn't working (10 students logged into it, beating the old record of 8 students on one machine) and hands it to my co-worker, who has the capacity of a dry cell battery and misses her explaining that she just got it back from a student who was just sent home with COVID. I know it's Prime Day lady, but don't kill us all just to get online with a laptop, then I'm fixing a webcamera in a room where another kid tested positive and they sent the teachers home, but somehow I didn't meet the criteria, so I guess I'm wasting signing into every single fucking classroom I go into every time I go into one. Hand to God, I spent $32 to have a tiny self inking rubber stamp made up because I was spending more time signing into classrooms than fixing stuff.

https://www.rubberstampchamp.com/produc ... -keychain/

I got the spare ink and extra pad, should have added my phone number as well. Faster that expected service from a state that is constantly on fire.

I could forgive everything, the attemps on our lives in the school just to make things more convient for the teachers, the school districts closing for too many cases, but for some reason we are allowing the children from the closed schools to come in, people using bandanas as masks, the short sighted voting against their own self interence and the belief that being an American means that rules are for everyone else, but never for themselves and how no one cares about protecting anyone from the virus until they get it, but never the fact that I tied together the bear attacks, the Kabar reference and Davy Crockett and no one got it, not even the Marine Staff Sargent. Clearely this is no longer my world and I think we will all be happier once the two of us are seperated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcRQedoEyY

Oh, and I turned down being an election worker as I was told by my job that if I went and worked there, I would have to quarantine at home for two weeks without pay for putting myself in danger or some shit like that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:22 pm 

Preps????

The name if this forum is it

Dropped 60 lbs
Resting hr 60-62

Drills...
Went to the range for the 1st time in 8 months, ro got called on me for "shooting too fast and in an uncontrollable way"...until he reeled my paper in and said "youre that 1 in 1000, carry on"

cz scorpion is my spirit animal with my 2 ar pistols in 556 n 300 w cans on the way

Dont know what a pistol other than a 26 or a 19 is tho i hide a 19 in an under armor tactical heat shirt

I didnt ask to do all this...it just happened

Ive been subconsciously prepping for serious shit for a year it seems

I have folks in masks in cars
Jogging alone in masks

In a state where covid dies over 75° f and 75% humidity, where uv kills it in seconds and its lifespan is 0 in a salt atmosphere (florida)

Yeah, big shit is coming and with this shit over osama not bein osama and this guy sposed to be called out publicly for lying bout it....add that to biden bs and the election

Where is that sweet meteor of death?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:35 am 

@Mike Ellis I sw your reference, I rolled my eyes so hard you should have heard the "click" out there in your basement.

Bulldog, good on you for the weight loss. I'm down to 210 from 240 at Christmas and on track to be under 190 by the New Year. Easily wearing size 36 pants with my IWB holster filled with my G21.

We've had a bit of resurgence of the COVID here in the Valley, nowhere near the numbers of other hotspots, but the percentage has definitely jumped up. Most folks are beating it back pretty easily as they are otherwise healthy, but I mask up whenever I go into a store or whatever, because I don't want to deal with that shit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:45 pm 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm the SUS in my school.

If your a '90s kids, that reference is the Last Werewolf.

If your are an '80s kids, that's Col Mustard in the Library with a revolver.

If you were gay in the '80s it's Professor Plum in the bedroom with a lead pipe.

So, off school on Monday, Tuesday I'm in and have to reset the web camera in one of the classrooms so I'm down there and it takes 20 minutes because thanks Windows 10 for auto decting every microphone and then instantly disabling half of them. The next day, it's a quad room with four sets of moving walls to make it 4 smaller classrooms, all three teachers are out because one of their kids tested positive for COVID.

Wednesday I'm over installing a web camera in the nursing program, on Thursday I hear the teacher and the entire class are quarantined for two weeks due to one of them testing positive.

Thursday I have a "surprise" class out in the conference center, so I have to go out there with a laptop as they took all the conference center machines and gave them to the people who are now standing in the conference center looking for the laptops. "You didn't buy more?" I recently found out my schools yearly budget for technology, $13K a year, the Special Education school across the parking lot? Their tech budget is $325K a year. I could build another shitty warehouse that thinks it's a school building for that. Anyway, find out the night before, one of the board of education members tested positive that morning and the entire board of education is supposed to be quarantining. I mean, they won't because they are far too important for that.

Friday I get an email from my boss who want to know why he is the only person who got a "new" machine his machine is 5 years old, I replaced it with one that is one year old because "he has to log in several times to get into his machine" I explained to him that he is the only person who has that issue as he is the only person who insists on using a wireless keyboard and mouse and it goes to sleep when the computer does. I explained that he wanted us to get 180 laptops ready for the students to use as home if we have to close the school. Currently we are about 7 miles outside of the yellow zone that surrounds the red zone where they had to close all the schools for three days as they have like 53 kids who tested positive in one district. For stupid reason, half of them needed the software installed manually on 50 of them, then I had to prep and distribute 53 Chromebooks to kids already out in quarantine, which would have been simple if I didn't have to hunt through the building and pry the extra machines out of the teachers hands, and then drive them to the different schools, and then call them on the phone when they can't figure out how to login, so even though I have six machines waiting for his staff to call me back when I can install them and they haven't I can't sneak into their offices and install them before school starts as I have to sit by the door and work the thermal camera as I'm the only one in the building at 0700 other than the security guard and I've spent my lunch breaks ferrying 180 laptops and backpacks from the other building over to our school 25 at a time, all my trunk and backseat will fit at once. You don't want to get pulled over with your car stuffed with laptops blocking your windows as it is literally a construction zone from the parking lot of one school to the other, than you Legoland NY.

So I had to draft 8 replies to his email and share them on the tech network until I got the reply, "that doesn't sound angry at all" at which point I knew I had over corrected. Then the guy who I work with comes into the office after replying with almost the same message, I'm assuming with more gravitas since he is supposed to be in charge but does not seem to do anything while I'm trying to thread the HP equivalent of a trigger spring into the pickup assembly with a pair of tweezers and a flashlight so I don't have to remove the 9th sub assembly to get a damn spring back into place and proceeds to tell me at great detail why he felt he also need to replay after coming back after a full hour lunch break and made me drop the spring into the printer I chased him out of the office.

Fixed the printer though, took three hours and I didn't throw a single tool. Not sure how they yanked out a piece of paper so hard they pulled out a spring and a roller, but they swear no one touched anything.

Head over to Staples as they are dumping their school supplies cheap, you'll need pencils and paper if the power goes out. Ignore their cheap ass manual paper sharpers and head in the back to the art section for the Staedtier metal two hole pencil sharpener for like $5. The cheap ones are fine for those China made pressed sawdust pencils that are the only alternative to getting Ticonderoga pencils, but this sharpener will put a point on a birch stick. Makes for a crap arrow, but beats trying to knap flint.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:43 am 

MikeEllis wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm the SUS in my school.
>snip a bunch of rambling, nearly psychotic humor<
Head over to Staples as they are dumping their school supplies cheap, you'll need pencils and paper if the power goes out. Ignore their cheap ass manual paper sharpers and head in the back to the art section for the Staedtier metal two hole pencil sharpener for like $5. The cheap ones are fine for those China made pressed sawdust pencils that are the only alternative to getting Ticonderoga pencils, but this sharpener will put a point on a birch stick. Makes for a crap arrow, but beats trying to knap flint.

Now this is great advice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:25 am 

Tape is also weirdly hard to find, I'm guessing because everyone is marking their floors, took me 4 weeks to get gaffer tape because they insisted I could tape down cable on a white floor with with black tape, it has to be high visibility orange, I guess high contrast wasn't enough.

I would have though tarps as well, but all the stores around me have them. I'd avoid Home Depot and Lowes who seem to be price gouging, I got a 1 mil thicker tarp at Harbor Freight Tools for half the price of Home Depot. I distrust their tools though. Who buys a $40 chainsaw? I guess the money you save can go towards tourniquets. You know a 36" bolt cutter there goes for under $20, I don't think the cutting blades were replaceable though.

Don't forget oven gloves, it's almost impossible to return a tear gas or smoke grenade with an oven mitt and the do tend to heat up, although nothing beats a hockey stick for a fast return. Don't be the guy who shows up with a lacrosse stick. That's no okay.

I'm torn about taking off after election day, I'm worried about the commute to work, but I don't want to miss the school burning. Oddly enough, I know where the key to the school gun safe is now, they offered to lend it to me when I was running a network line and noticed that someone had left the safe open for probably about 5 months with six rifles inside. I turned them down as I didn't want to add a second set of prints to the safe full of unsecured firearms and walked the principal out to it so he could get his prints on it. How does someone not get fired for that? Fucking civilians.

Oh, check you local school websites for new positions. Even with looming layoffs in January, we are burning through teachers as a furious rate. Anyone who can hear thunder and see lighting is being pulled in as subs for quarantined teachers.