The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:54 pm 

The CDC website containing all the criteria fro reopening that they feel people must follow.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/index.html

Some interesting ideas for schools. I'm sure that ME will love this stuff

Quote:
Promote social distancing
• Step 1 and 2
o Ensure that student and staff groupings are as static as possible by having the same group of
children stay with the same staff (all day for young children, and as much as possible for older
children).
o Restrict mixing between groups.
o Cancel all field trips, inter-group events, and extracurricular activities (Step 1).
o Limit gatherings, events, and extracurricular activities to those that can maintain social
distancing, support proper hand hygiene, and restrict attendance of those from higher
transmission areas (Step 2; Note: restricting attendance from those in Step 1 areas).
o Restrict nonessential visitors, volunteers, and activities involving other groups at the same
time.
o Space seating/desks to at least six feet apart.
o Turn desks to face in the same direction (rather than facing each other), or have students sit on
only one side of tables, spaced apart.
o Close communal use spaces such as dining halls and playgrounds if possible; otherwise stagger
use and disinfect in between use.
o If a cafeteria or group dining room is typically used, serve meals in classrooms instead. Serve
individually plated meals and hold activities in separate classrooms and ensure the safety of
children with food allergies.
o Stagger arrival and drop-off times or locations, or put in place other protocols to limit close
contact with parents or caregivers as much as possible.
o Create social distance between children on school buses (for example, seating children one
child per seat, every other row) where possible.
• Step 3
o Consider keeping classes together to include the same group of children each day, and consider
keeping the same child care providers with the same group each day.
o Allow minimal mixing between groups. Limit gatherings, events, and extracurricular activities to
those that can maintain social distancing, support proper hand hygiene, and restrict
attendance of those from higher transmission areas (Step 1 or 2 areas).
o Continue to space out seating and bedding (head-to-toe positioning) to six feet apart, if
possible.
o Consider keeping communal use spaces closed, such as game rooms or dining halls, if possible;
if this is not possible, stagger use and disinfect in between uses.
o Consider continuing to plate each child’s meal, to limit the use of shared serving utensils and
ensure the safety of children with food allergies.
o Consider limiting nonessential visitors, volunteers, and activities involving other groups.
Restrict attendance of those from higher transmission areas (Step 1 or 2 areas).
o Consider staggering arrival and drop-off times or locations, or put in place other protocols to
limit close contact with parents or caregivers as much as possible.

...specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 am 
Site Admin

How quaint...they're preparing the children for what life is like in prison.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:08 pm 

Just for curiosity, and for my later laughs, what about this list to you represents anti-liberty? Eating meals in classrooms? Shutting down the playgrounds? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan or Darwinism and I'm sure none of the parents at home would believe their kids would ever do anything like neck in the stairwells, swap a vape pen around a circle of kids or all drink out of the same bottle, but I'm here to tell you that not only the kids, but a lot of the teachers have no conception of basic hygiene. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard the bathroom door outside my office slam open without hearing the soap dispenser motor run or the sink. Crappy plumbing in this building, it's like the wet wall was in an echo chamber thanks to the all cinder block construction of the building and the drop ceilings.

Not really sure how this list relates to prison either, the one thing you don't have in prison is personal space or privacy. I should know as I have to support the local county jails adult learning program. Normally, I'm not against it, but they are teaching wielding there, which just seems all kinds of wrong. At least teaching them computer skills gets them into white-collar crime.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

I never said anything about liberty. However, if you look at what they're demanding (which is what this is, even though it's couched as "guidance") and compare it to how school was in early January, it's very prison-like. I wonder if they're going to make them change their clothes and wear little orange paper jumpsuits to help "slow the spread"...

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:13 pm 

You can pretty much tell who is going to get sick if you kid has ever come home with Mono, Scabies, Head lice, pink eye, mumps or chickenpox, they are probably going to get COVID. I don't count measles as that is super infectious compared to COVID. I had none of those, my sister had all of those and pink eye at least once a year from Elementry school until High School. To this day, I rub my right eye with my right hand and my left eye with my left hand against the fear of cross-contaminating them.

Anyway, you are reading the word "Guidance" as a requirement, like this was the old Soviet Union where everything that isn't prohibited is mandatory, but in this case "Guidance" means, we really think you guys should do this, but we aren't going to provide financing, a plan on how to do it, or even check up to see if you are doing it until the bodies start to hit the floor, then we will show up with our thoughts and prayers and we told you you should do it, we wrote it on this sheet of paper. It probably won't even hit the news until we start losing HS football teams.

None of it really matters, none of the kids are going to be able to ride on a school bus without getting infected once they masks go away and the first kid with no symptoms gets on the bus. The efficiency of the bussing systems in most larger districts has the buses already triple booked, so kids from Elementry, Middle, and High schools all ride in the same buses at different times. Those private companies that operate them aren't going to be able to disinfect them between shifts. God help the rural carriers where they mix kids from different schools onto the same buses.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

In government parlance, "Guidance" is a polite way to say, "Do this or else, we just haven't incorporated it into the law yet". Been there in the Telco industry and saw this first hand. "Guidance" in many bureaus carries the same power as law.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:15 pm 

Education does not work that way, mostly because anyone who can afford it opts out of the system, and no one else cares as long as there are enough drones coming out to sweep up.