The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:07 am 

This could turn into a ME type rant over the next couple weeks, so sorry if I get more and more insane.

Simple starter, I'm in Baghdad, locked down on a Diplomatic Compound. Multi national coalition troops, TCNs, and until last week local national employees that came and went daily... after Baghdad already had confirmed cases, but not a lot. Probably due to their shitty infrastructure and general attitudes towards everything.

No, I don't have the virus, I feel fine, but as of last night they sequestered half of our program to work from our CHUs for the next two weeks, possibly longer to minimize as much interaction as they can. Good news is I get to work without pants on, bad news it that becomes easily distracting. Going to seriously binge watch some shows and movies, been reading on my kindle so much my eyes are going blurry by 9pm daily.

I stopped going to the gym a few weeks ago cause Italians can't seem to clean up after themselves, and are just generally rude assholes with no courtesy. I even yelled at one of their COs in the dfac the other day for licking his fingers in line while ahead of me. Now they're also posting security guards at the entrance to make sure people wash their hands, again, blame the Italians. I always get my food to go, never eat in there cause I hate people, and cause of the dirty finger lickers.

Expect my descent into madness to be less hilarious than any way ME would compose it, and expect more "WTF" type scnarios as my sanity crumbles. Going to be doing lots of running, pushups, and masturbating. Basically I'm in high paid prison, so things could be worse.

Oh yeah, I was supposed to be going home on a permanent transfer for good this coming Sunday. Now I'm probably here for a least a couple more months while my wife is home attempting to not murder my 3 kids. Good thing she stocked up on tequila a while back in anticipation of this nonsense.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Best of luck! At least you're not in quarantine with Pelosi...or Hillary...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:38 pm 

The trick is constantly switching around and not bingeing anything. I'm still getting up, at 0700 instead of 0530. Check my work email, my personal email, do the dishes from the night before, watch and episode of Kingdom on Netflix, walk the dog, do some reading if I can, then try to work on a project at home, maybe a game, another TV show make dinner. At least I've figured out why nothing gets done when I'm at work finally. The wife is usually up around 1030, giving me a morning of peace, she will usually walk the dog with me, unless it's too cold. Then she and my daughter will try to take in The Price is Right and whatever other game show is on. My daughter is usually up at 0800 so she can catch Match Game 74 on the Game Show network. Then I watch them both play on their phones for as long as they can. They usually have a doctor's appointments all day, but everything is closed now. Which is scary as my daughter started having seizures again and they don't want us taking her to the emergency room. At least she only has one a month and they usually don't last more than three minutes, which is good as by the end she looks like she has two black eyes and her lips are turning blue. The Dr's say this is normal and we shouldn't worry, but they just have to adjust her medication. At least no one is infected yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:11 am 

I feel for you, Laz. Fucking Italians are bad enough in their own country, much less in others.

...specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:36 am 

Sorry to hear that Laz. At least you're getting paid.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:15 am 

You should totally setup a screening of 55 Days at Peking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/55_Days_at_Peking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

That was a great movie!