The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Domain Transter
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 pm 

Yeah, I've had that happen, I think it was 2013 and these guys were running an unpatched Windows 2000 server for the intermural sports program because they didn't want to pay for support. They had just released a pirated copy of some big film, I forget which one and some hacker walked into the school server like it was a screen door and set it up to torrent the film. I think Sony actually called the school district to get them to shut it down because it was hanging right outside the school firewall on the main fiber junction for the county. I get over there, wipe the server and as soon as I get it up and running again, the same guy is remoting into the server because all of the security settings are off by default and the login is Admin with no password. I had to yank out the network cord until I could change the IP address, then I spent the rest of the day running offline updates because they were too cheap to upgrade the server and the software. It would have been cheaper as I was billing $90 an hour.

I think our local county Sheriff is also running either 2000 or 2003 still, they have it locked down but I can't find printers old enough to hook up to the machines because the printer drivers stop around 2007.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Domain Transter
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:03 am 

Glad to hear it transferred over properly Kurt.

You know, hearing stories like these, it kind of makes me glad I'm not in IT anymore.

Profile Send private message