The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:52 pm 

Who's been to the market? I was watching the news and they are doing their usual shot down the completely empty aisle, but they never mention where. So I hit Google. Bloomberg, Washington Post, no locations, Reuters mentions Tucson, Fresno, and LA as having shortages, but I have to scroll all the way down to The Oregonian to get a new article that mentions which stores in which cities. That seems irresponsible as hell in the middle of all of this starting a self fulfilling prophecy. Oddly enough, Fox seems to be cutting the pasting the stories from Reuters right onto their website. I went in today at about 0730 and the shelves were filled to overflowing in most areas, except for taco shells, for some reason Ortega and Old El Paso have been off the shelves for weeks in NY. I'm guessing something took out one of their processing plants, either COVID or ICE. Spam hasn't restocked to a full deep shelf yet, which sucks as I like to age it a few years in the basement. I checked the bulk rice shelf and it was full of 20 lb bags, usually, when those shelves go bare you know something is coming.

Also, did anyone like double their commute time on Friday going home? I'm usually out of work at 3 and home fifty minutes later, but I doubled that on Friday and no accidents, or closures, all volume. I get off the Interstate when it was stalled, switch to the double-digit state road when that slowed down, I went down to the three-digit county roads and then to the back roads and it was like every single care in the county was out. No lane closures, car fires, police actions, accidents, I did see 3 deer crossing the highway in the middle of the afternoon and almost got a free turkey without having to get a punch card at Shoprite, but he managed to pull up at the last section.

I think global warming is affecting the squirrels as well. I think the kids are outside of the school so often they must be tossing them their lunches. I see the same two squirrels in the parking lot when I go over there, which seems odd with the number of hawks and eagles we have around here and both of them have developed muffin tops. I swear I was watching one waddle across the parking lot, not doing that usual squirrel walk without rhythm hop, skip thing they do and I swear when he got to the base of the tree, he looked up it, his shoulders sagged and he sighed before struggle to climb up it.

Oh, watch yourself if you are up against the Great White North border, apparently you can't drive down from Canada to snowbird, so companies are loading cars and trailers onto flatbeds and trucking them across the Canadia border and then short hopping people from Canada to the USA. If you wondered what all those tourist helicopter services around Niagara Falls are doing during the pandemic, apparently they are shuttling people over the border you cant fly across. If they are doing it in NY, probably any other place with a highway going south as well. Should be fun as I 95 runs through almost all of the big cities on the East Coast on its way to Florida.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/border-lo ... -1.5196426

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:44 am 
Site Admin

It's happening here in PA. Der Fuhrer and his pet transvestite Health Secretary are doing their best to instill fear, uncertainty, and doubt in the masses and as a result most grocery stores are out of toilet paper, most paper towels, and the long term foods (canned goods, etc.) have been well scavenged. Add to the fact that everyone except the ones that piss themselves when they hear a surprise noise are giving them the finger and saying, "You may have destroyed our faith in the elections, but you're not going to ruin our Thanksgiving!"

Right now, *elected* Democrats are nothing but a cancer, and the willing idiots in the press are what's expelled after a long night of consuming tequila shots, chili, tacos, and jalapeno peppers...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:53 pm 

Drift over the border, we are well stocked in NY. No one seems to be watching anyway. I've seen more Texas plates in the last two weeks than I think I've seen in the last two years.

Not sure why you are angry at a virus. I think the former head of the CDC nailed in on NPR, if you have a full house at Thanksgiving, know that you will probably have a few empty chairs by Christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:09 am 
Site Admin

The *former* CDC head is doing nothing but fearmongering...but it supports the mainstream narrative of give the government control because you can't be trusted to think for yourself.

As for crossing to New York...couple problems with that. Her Fuhrer's pet transvestite has decreed (though no legislation was ever passed to make this a "law") that anyone who enters or reenters the state must submit themselves for a WuFlu test within 72 hours or self quarantine for 14 days.

We're within spitting distance of checkpoints and having to show our "papers"...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:57 pm 

I think that is only if you spend more than 12 hours in the state, otherwise, the only people working in Manhattan would be the one who could afford to live there and like 30,000 illegal B&B's.

I'm not sure it's fearmongering if you are getting over a million new cases a day, what are we up to now? Like a 9/11 death toll every three days now?

At least I get to keep busy as the only guy left standing for three different schools right now. So many people out "absent" for two weeks. Of course, tomorrow is the last day of instruction until like Jan 10th I think? Wasn't paying attention, I still get to go in as the only one who can man the temperature scanner because our union is so week that we can't fight being drafted in as healthcare workers. Oooo, I should check the union head retires in January (Mostly to drop the 4 lawsuits filed against her, we have a video of her trying to run down one of the tech's in her car. I mean, he was annoying, but I work there too, she only ever threatened to have me arrested for trespassing. I'm not sure how because it was the building I worked in at the time.) and they just let go of all of the TA's and school secretaries. Teachers start getting laid off in January. We might be able to actually have our votes count as we are about 12 people out of 123 in the union. that is how Ms. Running People Down in the Parking Lot got elected. Come to think of it, they did lay off like 123 people. We are now playing Oregon Trail with the tech workers to see which of us don't return from the two weeks "absence" to see how many of us will be left to fight for the few positions left. Makes the rounds of promotions over the summer in a more sinister light. Everyone who got promoted, never me, not in 17 years, now has less than one year on the job somehow according to state rules, so they are first on the chopping block to get laid off. Eh, they will probably go back to elimitating positions again to get around the state laws.

Meh, at least with the mask on, I don't have to smile at job interviews anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:08 am 
Site Admin

Why are we freaking out over something that has a 99.98%+ survival rate for the vast majority of the population? Cases =/= deaths, nor do they equal deaths *from* C19 as the CDC has stated, only about 6% of those listed as dying from C19 actually died from it, instead of *with* it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:49 pm 

Probably because we are on track to lose more people this year than in the first three years of WWII?

It's this bad that the South Korean government is sending care packages to former teachers who taught English to South Korean children after the war because they were worried that they didn't have access to masks. It's more than I've gotten from our government. I haven't seen a mask or a pair of gloves that I didn't purchase myself since June. The school only gives out surgical masks to the kids. Mask have become the new Wonder bread backs from my childhood, hanging from trees, scattered across parking lots, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/20/worl ... corps.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Because I think the numbers we're being given are bullshit, that's why. Every study or research paper that contradicts "the narrative" is summarily pulled or retracted despite showing proof of its argument. The latest is an article from Johns Hopkins that pretty much blows away the sky is falling drama llama BS.

A closer look at U.S. deaths due to COVID-19 - The Johns Hopkins News-Letter
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tstaug6hz1x82ec/A%20closer%20look%20at%20U.S.%20deaths%20due%20to%20COVID-19%20-%20The%20Johns%20Hopkins%20News-Letter.pdf?dl=0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:40 am 

For some reason, some of the Albuquerque Walmarts were stripped bare. Got pictures from a friend of mine showing no produce in the store at all, which seems odd as the average supermarket apple is already 18 months old, all but six gallons of milk and almost all of the meat is gone. For some reason, the supermarkets in my area are still very full to the point where they are having BOGO sales on meat. I can understand beef and pork, but not chicken. Unless they revved up production of some slaughterhouses to cover other ones and this is the excess coming into the market place. I was thinking it was because we are here at the crossroads of the Northeast, my supermarket is at the junction of 84 and 87, so anything heading to Conn, Vermont, Maine etc has to go through here.

Anyone else seeing more Canadian products on the shelves?

From what I've been reading most of the COVID death numbers have been under-reported, not over. I can vouch for all the portable refrigeration units being set up in the back of NYU Medical Center in NY. Saw them myself when I was looking for parking there when I took my daughter in for surgery back in June and went by the loading dock behind Bellvue Medical Center. There was also a line of ambulances dropping off and herses picking up.

The Johns Hopkins News-Letter is the student newspaper of the University. They explained why they retracted it.

Quote:
Editor’s Note: After The News-Letter published this article on Nov. 22, it was brought to our attention that our coverage of Genevieve Briand’s presentation “COVID-19 Deaths: A Look at U.S. Data” has been used to support dangerous inaccuracies that minimize the impact of the pandemic.

We decided on Nov. 26 to retract this article to stop the spread of misinformation, as we noted on social media. However, it is our responsibility as journalists to provide a historical record. We have chosen to take down the article from our website, but it is available here as a PDF.

In accordance with our standards for transparency, we are sharing with our readers how we came to this decision. The News-Letter is an editorially and financially independent, student-run publication. Our articles and content are not endorsed by the University or the School of Medicine, and our decision to retract this article was made independently.

Briand’s study should not be used exclusively in understanding the impact of COVID-19, but should be taken in context with the countless other data published by Hopkins, the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

As assistant director for the Master’s in Applied Economics program at Hopkins, Briand is neither a medical professional nor a disease researcher. At her talk, she herself stated that more research and data are needed to understand the effects of COVID-19 in the U.S.

Briand was quoted in the article as saying, “All of this points to no evidence that COVID-19 created any excess deaths. Total death numbers are not above normal death numbers.” This claim is incorrect and does not take into account the spike in raw death count from all causes compared to previous years. According to the CDC, there have been almost 300,000 excess deaths due to COVID-19. Additionally, Briand presented data of total U.S. deaths in comparison to COVID-19-related deaths as a proportion percentage, which trivializes the repercussions of the pandemic. This evidence does not disprove the severity of COVID-19; an increase in excess deaths is not represented in these proportionalities because they are offered as percentages, not raw numbers.

Briand also claimed in her analysis that deaths due to heart diseases, respiratory diseases, influenza and pneumonia may be incorrectly categorized as COVID-19-related deaths. However, COVID-19 disproportionately affects those with preexisting conditions, so those with those underlying conditions are statistically more likely to be severely affected and die from the virus.

Because of these inaccuracies and our failure to provide additional information about the effects of COVID-19, The News-Letter decided to retract this article. It is our duty as a publication to combat the spread of misinformation and to enhance our fact-checking process. We apologize to our readers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:21 am 
Site Admin

In other words, the article doesn't fit our narrative so we're going to do everything we can to discredit her and her paper. It's CYA, Mike.