The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What up with masks?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:19 pm 

Someone explain this to me how wearing a mask violates your constitutional rights, I forget all the same arguments about why it was against the constitution to force people to wear seat belts, require school children to get immunized or make bikers wear helmets. The helmet law was a big setback for the organ transplant people as it radically slowed down the number of people in motorcycle vs car crashes showing up brain dead at the hospitals. I didn't even know cars came with seatbelts until about 1979 when the started to change the law as the first thing my father did when he purchased a new car was to pull out the seats and tuck the seatbelts underneath. You know what changed his mind, not the commercials, not the pictures of people hanging halfway out of a car smashed through a windshield, it was the $50 fine. $50 per person each time. After that law passed, everyone buckled up. He would still get offended if someone got into the car and immediately bucked themselves into the car because he felt it reflected on his driving. To be fair, dad was the best driver I had ever seen, city driving mind you. If you have never seen anyone turn around a bobtail truck in the middle of a one-way street or reverse a truck down an alleyway doing 20 without losing a side mirror you haven't seen driving. I would like to see after winning at NASCAR, one of those guys try to parallel park for extra points.

You think wearing a mask would make people more expressive, you pop the rebel flag on there and boom, everyone has already know your opinions on most subjects. Look at me, I thought New Coke was a good idea, that is why I have this logo on my maks, let me don this mask that says Subway, Eat Fresh so everyone realizes I have a lifelong eating disorder or just put on the Mets logo. Now everyone knows why you are always depressed.

Let's look at the positive aspects, well, there is a lesser chance if you are sick that you will make other people sick, remember it's your actions, not your intentions. I wanted to have my personal freedom, but I didn't mean to kill all those veterans in the nursing home by coughing on them, but everyone has to be able to check out my sweet Mangum PI mustache. Chances are, you are ugly anyway, a mask can only help you.

Hey if all those freedom protestors with rifle aren't afraid of death, why are all of them wearing plate carriers? The riot cops understand, they leave the guys in the state capital with the long guns alone and pick on the guys in the masks. Hey, they have masks on already, its like they are asking us to teargas them.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: What up with masks?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think it's so much an issue of constitutionality but rather one of consistency. There is none. First they say masks are ineffective, then they say they are. Then they turn around and say, well...maybe not effective. Then they say you have to wear them. Now, some thing in Oregon has said that everyone *except* blacks must wear masks...

Sorry, well...no, I'm not sorry at all...the medical "professionals" have zero credibility and I think we'd have similar answers if we examined the entrails of a yak.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:33 am 

Myself, I basically follow Asian custom when it comes to masks.
1. Wear them if you think you are sick or actually are - because it is the polite thing to do.
2. Wear it if it is the time of sickness, or you are paranoid about the time of sickness and don't want to catch it.
3. Cities are dirty fucking places, with lots of diesel vehicles, and even though I smoke cigars, I don't need that extra pollution in my lungs.
And now adding a fourth:
4. I'm visiting someone who is susceptible to sickness - the aged, the infirm, the immuno-compromised, and it would be rude to make them sick.

I visit MikeEllis, I have a mask on until I'm sure his daughter or Bride aren't around, and then that fucker is coming off and I'm licking his face.

That all seems good, yes?

As to masks in general, the "paper" ones are generally only proof against droplet spatter, whether blood, mucus or sneeze drops. The N95 are pretty good against most airborne diseases and pollutants - the 95 meaning they are 95% proof against particles that are 0.3 microns in size or larger. Viruses ranges from a few tens to a few hundreds of nm - or 0.01-0.3 microns. Coronavirus particles (fancy scientific name “virions”) are spheres with diameters of approximately 0.125 microns (125 nm). The smallest particles are 0.06 microns, and the largest are 0.14 microns - basically making the N95 maks useless against them if there is a cloud - and they are usually only good for up to 10 hours of wear - mostly.
Unless you wear an actual fitted respirator with an N/P99-100 classification, you will be sucking in something.
So masks in general, some good against normal shit, not so good against the COVID.
The more you know...

...specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Someone who has since blocked me on Twitter was getting on my case for pretty much saying what you did, Wardog. He then went on to brag how easy it was to make a quality mask...out of a piece of t-shirt fabric and...a...folded...paper...towel.

I laughed at him and told him that if it helps him sleep well at night, go for it, but it's about as effective as a screen door on a submarine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:18 pm 

It is easy to make a quality mask, anyone with a $200,000 machine and the correct supplies can do it. Every A-hole on Etsy, not so much. One of our teachers in the Fashion academy is "giving" away masks to the custodial staff and selling them to everyone else. I caught her raiding the school supply of fabric, so I think everyone knows what is going on. Pissed me off that we have three 3D printers, two of them high priced semi-industrial models, three full-sized kitchens and a room full of sewing machines and my school hasn't prepared a single meal, donated a mask or made a replacement valve for a respirator throughout this whole thing. I did see everyone come in for a school reopening meeting yesterday, then I see a group out in front of the school, it's the school nurse, the head of the early education training course, that is where they train High School kids to get certified to work in Nursery schools and child care facilities and four other people. Not a mask on any of them and all of the close enough to rub elbows. I'm not looking forward to the fall, if you think Americans are bad at following instructions, try it with High School kids and teachers. My new personal hell? Supplying phone support to kids from the Special Education school across the parking lot from mine. Now when I'm at work I literally have to carry around a laptop with Jabber installed so they can ring the calls through to me at the school that I'm trying to get ready to open on Monday because they won't route the system through the little wireless Cisco phone that we have just for that purpose. I think I'm wasting a golden opportunity since I'm always wearing a mask anyway to do a little Tonya Harding action on the senior network guys. You cannot imagine my rage that I'm trying to run a Help Desk through Google Hangouts because we don't have enough VPN licenses for me to log in to our network and do things like check on passwords and accounts so I have to text someone who is probably out painting their house, (Not kidding if you are painting your house while you are supposed to be working the level 2 phone support shift, don't post pictures of it on Facebook) and there is a 10-minute delay while I have someone cursing me out on the phone for something that I could fix in less than a minute if I was sitting at my desk in the school.

I went ugly early with those three-layer fabric masks with the relief valve. I don't think I've found a mask yet where the exhale valve wasn't entirely ornamental. It's usually pretty easy to tell which masks are effective. Put on a new N-95 mask from someone like 3M and take a deep breath, then try it with a fabric mask, if you aren't feeling the same strain while breathing in, your mask is probably crap. It still works to contain droplets though, it just isn't doing you any favors.

I think those charcoal filters are a waste as well and dumped mine the first week. Anyone who remembers their NBC training knows that the enemy of charcoal is moisture, and so if it is wet, like if you are running up and down stairs in a school with no AC and relative humidity in the 80%, I probably get an hour of use out of it before it's soaked. I actually have an N-99 respirator, but there isn't really much point in wearing one if you can decontaminate it and yourself after being exposed.

Anyway, if Wardog is still sporting that beard, his mask isn't sealing anyway, still, I approve of him wearing a mask because he sure isn't pretty.

Oh, everyone needs to start popping probiotics or eating yogurt with active cultures, if you guys are using purell or bleach or any other hand sanitizer to clean up before eating lunch, chances are you are ingesting enough to screw up your gut biome. I've eaten so much oatmeal to keep things moving that I've lowered my cholesterol by almost 100 points. Either that or my anger is fueled by LDL.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:47 am 

You aren't wrong, ME. That's why I only wash with soap and water.

...specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long