The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:17 pm 

So you are putting in shelf paper, living the dream.

I found a lot of expired stuff, all of it has proven edible if not the kind of Russian roulette you want to play without having access to medical charcoal in the house. Vegetables a year or two past the expiration date, no problem. Spam just get better with age, I would not recommend Couscous three years past the expiration date, even if it has been stored in an airtight container in a dark place. The taste just lingers. Not really seeing any shortages here, just limits on what you can buy but NY state is kind of self-contained for food, just more of it is available as the high-end restaurants getting local produce are pushing more of it back on the local markets. Since pot is still illegial in NY, our greenhouses are still being used for vegaables.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:09 am 

MikeEllis wrote:
So you are putting in shelf paper, living the dream.

You have no idea Mike, no idea.... :roll: Sad thing, I really was excited to do it; cleaning that mess up and organizing the pantry has been on the to-do list for way to long.

I actually just ordered parts for two uppers. When I rebuilt the A1 clone with my son I realized I now have a lower just sitting around :o ; and we can't have that happen! :lol: Plus I wanted to make some changes to my main AR so I finally did. I also splurged and picked up the Magpul Remington 700 (.308) magazine well kit. Hopefully they get here soon enough that I can work on them with my son this summer. We'll see. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:32 pm 

What does anyone think of those 80% lowers, not for me, I would manufacture one that would probably throw a round into a 270-degree curve, but I was watching Vice news and they were in California of all places and this guy had a store that sold nothing but parts and 80% lowers. Said that since he was open, a few years I was assuming he had sold over 270,000 of them. From one store, I'm assuming on line as well. Why do we even bother with gun laws then?

You got the trigger fixed on that Remmington, right? I think they went bankrupt with a few hundred thousand of those still not fixed after the recall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:56 am 

Luckily my .308 isn't one affected by the recall; unfortunately my .300WSM is and I never did hear back about it before the bankruptcy. At this point I think I'm just going to switch it out with Timney and sell it; I didn't like shooting it before my surgeries, now it truly hurts like a bitch.

I'm pretty sure I read about that shop as well, didn't he get in some trouble for doing build classes? Or was that another shop in California? To be honest, while the 80% AR's have no appeal to me, I do like the Polymer 80% pistol receivers. While I cannot stand the grip angle on a Glock, I'd really like to do an Polymer 80% Glock build soon. Mostly just to have one, and for when I teach or help new shooters. After that, who knows?

I realize you're stuck in New York and you sometime forget how things work in free states, but as far as current federal gun laws go, you are allowed to manufacture firearms for your own use without any special licensing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

A1C Lickey wrote:
I'm pretty sure I read about that shop as well, didn't he get in some trouble for doing build classes? Or was that another shop in California? To be honest, while the 80% AR's have no appeal to me, I do like the Polymer 80% pistol receivers. While I cannot stand the grip angle on a Glock, I'd really like to do an Polymer 80% Glock build soon. Mostly just to have one, and for when I teach or help new shooters. After that, who knows?

Yes, he was busted for doing build classes which the Feds interpreted to him essentially producing the receivers since it was in his shop on his tooling. I think it was a stretch, but in all fairness, I can see the Feds' point to a certain degree.

There is at least one company that allows you to "cast your own" polymer receiver for an AR. It has metal reinforcement in certain places and from everything I've seen, if you do your part, the kit will do its and come out rather well. I also think that they have self-casting kits for Glock, but don't hold me to it.

A1C Lickey wrote:
I realize you're stuck in New York and you sometime forget how things work in free states, but as far as current federal gun laws go, you are allowed to manufacture firearms for your own use without any special licensing.

It's a bitter battle here in PA. Last December, our AG declared that 80% lowers had to go through a NICS check. However, since they didn't have a serial number and you need a serial number for a NICS check, that ended sales. That was put on hold after a judge's ruling in late January and they can now be sold. Our King, Tom Wolf 1st, wants to ban them outright. I have a feeling that after the COVID crisis and now the Imbecile Riots, any new gun control measures are going to be dead on arrival.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:40 pm 

Sorry Kurt, I forget how bad Pennsylvania has gotten. I just remember how much nicer it was after growing up in New York before I enlisted. Though from what I've read, I agree with you. I think a lot of people are fed up with Wolf and his holier than thou actions. Hopefully they remember long enough to vote for change.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:22 am 
Site Admin

Wolf faces term limits so unless he decides to take his shit show to either Congress or the State House, he's done. Part of the problem is that people don't remember or if they do, it's very selective.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19