The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Updating the vests
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:49 am 

My recent work updating my main rifle plus building a second more DMR type AR, along with my other recent changes to my vehicle kit and recent events have made me question some of my current load outs.

While doing some work in my vest I realized the armor and mags was heavier then I remembered, I also realized that I'd allowed quite a bit of gear to accumulate on my vest. I'm currently working to eliminate as much as possible; whatever I still absolutely need I hope to put in a bag I can always drop when neccesary. I'd also like to standardize both mine and the wife's vest as much as possible.

That said I was wondering what you guys have and how many mags you may be carrying?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Updating the vests
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

I try to have ~120-150 rounds (4-5 30 round mags) with me, though I realize that most likely if I have to go kinetic, I might get through one, perhaps two before I'm bleeding out.

Post subject: Re: Updating the vests
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:43 am 

Thanks Kurt. With recent events I hope everyone understands if I'm not too specific, regarding certain things. :?

That said, my vest was set up like the USAF outside the wire vests from my time in; seven, thirty round AR magazines, for 210 rounds of 5.56mm NATO , though when I added a battle belt I did add a spare mag, for eight mags and 240 rounds. However, that loadout was based on the assumption that we were mounted troops, or even RAVEN or FAST troops (Fly Away Security Teams for cargo planes, and helicopters, the first out, last in guys. I applied and started school while in Iraq and was kicked out of training when they realized I wasn't Security Forces, even though I told them when I applied and got there! 8-) ;)

I currently do use a battle belt in addition to my vest, so that if I remove my vest I still have my sidearm; one magazine for my sidearm, and one for my AR; a dump pouch and my IFAK at all times. No matter what, I'm keeping the battle belt and spares on there. That said, I'm most likely going to drop down to six total AR magazines, including the one on my battle belt.

Kurt, you'd be surprised how fast you go through ammo when it's real, or so I've heard. ;) That said, I feel you'd survive longer than you think.