The Refuge

A refuge from the desolation
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: European Surplus
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:08 pm 

Found this online if you are looking for NATO stuff, lots of Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish stuff. I don't know anything about the current US cold-weather gear as in the 80's it's was mostly stuff made in the '50s. They have a flat shipping rate to the US of $10.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en

They have a winter cloak that also doubles as a sheild from thermal detection. Got to avoid those drones.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... loak/57470

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: European Surplus
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:12 am 

I'm thinking a couple of poncho liners and a mylar blanket would do the trick just as well, and not for $257

...specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:30 am 
Site Admin

These guys have excellent service and their house brand's quality is simply amazing. Like anything, you need to be a smart shopper, but shipping is very reasonable. I have a couple of their jackets (one is a wool casual wear and the other is FinnCam uniform jacket) and they're hard to beat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:31 pm 

Those Wildfire Fire Fighter blankets that you throw over yourself and let the fire burn over you are supposed to be the best for hiding thermal signatures. Haven't tested it myself though. I imagine they are harder to get these days than they used to be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:52 am 
Site Admin

Yeah...I can see how the .gov and your neighbors would frown on your explanation for a forest fire: "I'm just testing my preps, man...why do you all have to be such buzzkills???"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:10 am 

That is just ME's life among the masses.

...specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:47 am 

I suppose I am one of the few people with access to a thermal camera, oddly enough it's not in the Firefighter academy, the Construction one has it back when they actualy did home energy audits.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:51 pm 

Just ordered their take on the old Fishtail parka with newer insulation tht the cotton in the origial one. I haven't had a proper winter coat in years and I'm getting tired of just having a Carhartt, especially today when I went out to walk the dog at 12 degrees and when the wind picked up I was painfully aware that my pants had a copper zipper. Figures I would get it just in time for global warming to kick in. I had been waiting for the McMurdo jacket, but I'm always missing the sale.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:44 pm 

Fuck this parka is sweet, got it yesterday and took it out for a test drive today. It only has those tit's high handwarmer pockets and the jacket is meant to only be worn as part of a system, but I threw on a light vest under in and with the button in liner, I was fine with it at 10 degrees this morning. Have to see how it holds up to rain as the problem with most Norseland jackets is that they tend not to be waterproof as they mostly get snow instead of sleet and freezing rain. No knit cuffs, but they button-down, it has a YKK plastic zipper, so I don't have to worry about it freezing, but it feels light and it's a two-way zipper, which are all terrible. I would have preferred if it had the same heavy plastic zipper the M-65 jacket has now. It's amazingly thin for a parka, about a third as thick as a Carhartt jacket, the hood doesn't have a fur ruff around the outside, but then again, I won't be wearing it to Ice Station Zebra anyway.